With Aliens now well and truly on sale, it warrants a closer look at Gearbox's attempt at recreating the magic of the Aliens universe.
- Yes it's out, it dropped early on Saturday.
- It's a first-person shooter which carries on directly after the events of the 1986 film, acting as a direct sequel.
- Developer Gearbox (Borderlands 2) has been working on this game for years.
- Actors from the original film including Lance Henriksen and Michael Beihn are providing their likenesses and voice acting.
- The game is aimed at authenticity, and has accurately recreated all the iconic weapons and gadgets from the film.
- The pacing of the game is varied, switching between frenetic action firefights and tense, moody suspense sections.
- Gearbox got its hands on the set design documents from the original film, so were able to recreate sections of the colony featured in the film which were never actually seen on camera with complete accuracy.
- Multiplayer favours cooperation and strategy. It's aliens versus humans as the aliens aim to divide and conquer while the humans need to try and keep it together.
- Enemies featured include all the variants of the xenomorphs from the first Aliens trilogy, as well as new ones created by Gearbox for the game.
- It's out on 360 and PS3 (AUD$79.95 or NZD$99.95) or PC (AUD$69.95 or NZD$89.95).