Naughty Dog's latest masterpiece hits shelves tomorrow, so what are the basics of this bold new IP?
- This is the latest game from the creators of the Uncharted series, and is every bit as high in production values.
- It's being given a new hybrid genre in the form of survival-action. Not quite survival horror, not quite all-out action, it blends both genres expertly.
- You play predominantly with a character by your side, helping one another out along the way, both in firefights and scavanging.
- The game is set 20 years after a zombie-like infection hits America, embodying an epic Journey to the West but with a unique twist of using the road trip style story to show a decaying society, rather than a burgeoning one.
- You play as Joel, a smuggler in the post-apocalyptic world who is tasked with transporting a 14 year-old girl named Ellie through the outside of the quarantine zone.
- The game combines gunplay with seamless cover mechanics, stealth-action and brutal hand-to-hand combat with found weapons (two by fours, poles with scissors taped to the end etc).
- Multiplayer is heavily team-focused, with the main mode, Factions, being about using each other's tools strategically to win.
- There is a crafting system which allows you to create grenades, traps, melee weapons, health packs and more on the fly.
- It's one of the highest rated Metacritic games of all time so far (it's currently holding at 96).
- It lands in stores tomorrow as a PS3 exclusive for AUD$99.95 or NZD$119.95.