The next in the series with the most memorable launch trailer in years is due on shelves tomorrow, so let's take a closer look at it.
- Dead Island: Riptide picks up where the first game left off, and involved the same kind of gun/bottle/bat/plank-toting mayhem as the first game.
- The game takes place on another island in the same archipelago as the original, with a new troupe of survivors landing ashore to battle the zombie plague.
- It opens with cinematics of each of the survivors aboard an ill-fated ship wherein they each must fight their way off, outlining the skills and traits of each character.
- Much like the first game, it's a hybrid of action RPG and survival horror, with players spending significant time looting, customising their loadouts and figuring out how best to equip themselves for varying scenarios throughout the game.
- Co-op play is once again the star of the show, with the majority of the fun emerging in creative teamwork.
- It's an open world game within limits, tasking the players with making their way from one end of the island to another under their own steam at some times, while at others pushing them through thick firefights.
- It's coming out just a year and a half after the first game, so very much kicks on using the same technology and gameplay.
- Players will encounter NPC characters which can help them on their quest, providing supplies and giving quests.
- The game is developed by Techland, the creators of the Call of Juarez series of Western shooters.
- It's available on Tuesday 23rd April on PS3 and 360 (AUD$89.95 or NZD$109.95) and PC (AUD$69.95 or NZD$89.95).